Occupy Wall Street (OWS) is an ongoing series of demonstrations in New York City based in Zuccotti Park in the Wall Street financial district. The protests were initiated by the Canadian activist group Adbusters. They are mainly protesting social and economic inequality, corporate greed, corruption and influence over government—particularly from the financial services sector—and influencial lobbyists. The protesters’ slogan, “We are the 99%,” refers to the difference in wealth between the wealthiest 1% and the rest of the population.
The initial protest started on September 17, 2011, and by October 9, similar demonstrations were either ongoing or had been held in 70 major cities and over 600 communities in the U.S. Internationally, other “Occupy” protests have modeled themselves after Occupy Wall Street, in over 900 cities worldwide. The inspiration of Lybia. Greek Austerity, and global poverty .
Several wealthy supporters have joined the protest, and have started a blog, west and with the 99percent in which they say, “I am the 1%. I stand with the 99%,” and give their stories. The granddaughter of oil tycoon H.L. Hunt, Leah Hunt-Hendrix, 28, was quoted as saying “We should acknowledge our privilege and claim the responsibilities that come with it.”[ Farhad Ebrahimi, 33, has been participating in the Occupy Boston protest wearing a T-shirt that says, “Tax me. I’m good for it.”
On September 19, Roseanne Barr, the first celebrity to endorse the protest, spoke to protesters calling for a combination of capitalism and socialism. With the destructive aspect of capitalism and alternative economy
There is a notion of sharing the wealth, since jobs are disappearing due to automation and quality jobs are rare. And the notion of Universal Income needs to spread.
1. No person would be allowed to accumulate a personal net worth of more than 300 times the average family fortune, which would limit personal assets to between $5 million and $8 million. A graduated capital levy tax would be assessed on all persons with a net worth exceeding $1 million.
2. Annual incomes would be limited to $1 million and inheritances would be capped at $5 million.
3. Every family was to be furnished with a homestead allowance of not less than one-third the average family wealth of the country. Every family was to be guaranteed an annual family income of at least $2,000 to $2,500, or not less than one-third of the average annual family income in the United States. Yearly income, however, cannot exceed more than 300 times the size of the average family income.
4. An old-age pension would be made available for all persons over 60.
5. To balance agricultural production, the government would preserve/store surplus goods, abolishing the practice of destroying surplus food and other necessities due to lack of purchasing power.
6. Veterans would be paid what they were owed (a pension and healthcare benefits).
7. Free education and training for all students to have equal opportunities in all schools, colleges, universities, and other institutions for training in the professions and vocations of life.
8. All people should receive a Universal Income of $30,000 annually. Teens should maybe get $4,000 a year.
9. The raising of revenue and taxes for the support of this program was to come from the reduction of swollen fortunes from the top, as well as for the support of public works to give employment whenever there may be any slackening necessary in private enterprise.
Enveloping a graduated progressive tax.
What the Occupy Wall street people need is a political party that will get them there. In States elected to change ballot access laws, nationally for a New Government. A Socialist one we hope.